We have included below the initial announcement Regarding Event Postponement due to COVID-19 from 13th March 2020.
Last Updated 3:19pm 13/03/2020
Event Postponed. New dates to be announced by Monday 16th March.
In the interest of public health and the developing situation regarding COVID-19 virus, we have unfortunately had to make the difficult decision to postpone Sydney Build Expo & CIVENEX.
Over recent weeks we have been working tirelessly with ICC Sydney, the Australian Government Department of Health and relevant bodies to plan for a successful and safe event. We were until recently confident that we could achieve this and were working off external advice and government feedback. However, in the last 24 hours the situation in Australia has deteriorated rapidly and we feel that the only course of action at present is to postpone the event.
All bookings for exhibitors, sponsors or attendees will automatically transfer to the new dates.
We have based this decision on the following recent information available to us:
- The Council of Australian Governments are meeting on 13th March to discuss the virus and are to issue new guidelines and potential restrictions. The Melbourne Grand Prix has been cancelled based on health concerns. The Victorian Chief Health Officer has been quoted as saying on 13th March in regards to the Grand Prix organisers, “They have a choice to make this morning, running no event or running an event with no spectators.” We are therefore of the opinion that further restrictions will come in for mass events in the coming days in the interest of public safety. This is a fast moving situation and we must follow evolving guidance as it is available to us. It is highly likely that we are will see further restrictions around mass gatherings introduced soon and this will prevent us from operating the show as planned.
- On the afternoon of 13th March Australia's chief medical officer has told premiers, chief ministers and the Prime Minister that mass gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled amid fears about the spread of coronavirus.
- World Health Organisation declaration on 12th March that we are facing a global pandemic. Director General of the WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated, "We have called for countries to take urgent and aggressive action. We have rung the alarm bell loud and clear."
- The public health advice is evolving rapidly and we have to adapt to this. It is likely that by the time of the event more health measures will be in place across Australia. We believe that public health and safety are paramount in these circumstances. We therefore believe it is not possible for us to run the event as planned based on health concerns.
- Many exhibitors and visitors have this week banned interstate travel and released event bans. Increasingly stringent travel restrictions have been imposed by Australia, USA, across Europe and a range of other countries.
- We have in the past 24 hours received a large increase in the number of attendees, speakers, partners, exhibitors and sponsors who have decided that they will be unable to take part in the event.
It is incredibly unfortunate that we have been forced to postpone the event at such late notice. We have worked closely with the venue, health authorities and government to try and ensure the safe running of the event. We have based previous decisions on all information available to us at the time and government advice. It is clear that the situation is deteriorating rapidly, government advice is adapting and health concerns must always come first.
The new dates for Sydney Build Expo and CIVENEX Expo will be announced 16th March. We have increased the size of the show in the new venue and we will be working tirelessly to ensure that we return with a successful and larger event.
We appreciate the understanding of all event partners, exhibitors, sponsors and attendees. This is a developing situation and please bear with us as we try and answer any questions. If you have any questions please contact: email@example.com please note due to high volume of contact it will take us several days to reply.
Sydney Build Team
13th March 2020